What are the signs of weakness of true faith?
They are many signs of weakness of true faith. Some of them can be felt by the person himself in his heart (inner signs), and others can be seen on his behavior (outer signs). The inner signs include:
1. Less remembering Allah in heart before doing things or talking.
2. Less remembering the Aakhirah(the Hereafter) and the result of our deeds.
3. Less remembering death, grave, Barzakh, Paradise and Hellfire which are part and parcel of our definite future.
4. Less feeling of Love for Allah.
5. Less feeling of love for Allah’s most beloved ones, the Prophet (SAWA) and Ahlul Bayt (AS).
6. Less feeling of love for good deeds which are beloved by Allah (SWT).
7. Less love for the servants of Allah like pious Ulama, and pious believers and poor persons.
8. Less feeling of love for reciting, listening and studying the Qur’an.
9. Less keenness to get reward through sincere worship.
10. Feeling lazy to perform worship which needs effort like Namaz-e-Shab (Night’s Prayer) and other recommended prayers and supplications. The outer signs are reflections of the inner signs and it make the person more busy in worldly matters than Aakhirah, and not caring for losing the great reward if his worldly gains are secured. The tears of keenness (Shawq) for Paradise, and fear from sins become less when the heart becomes hard out of sins. May Allah save us from such situations and keep our hearts and deeds always with Him. This which help in making our hearts more clean and pure are:
1. Repeating Istighfaar, especially before sunset and before Fajr (Sahar time).
2. Repeating Salawaat especially after morning prayer at least 100 times (Allahumma Salli Ala Mohammad Wa Aali Mohammad).
3. Night Prayer (Namaz Shab).
4. Reciting Quran as much as possible even by repeating short Suras.
5. Helping helpless persons especially orphans and putting our hand on their head.
6. Remembering our previous sins and weeping over them to seek forgiveness,
7. Remembering the tragedies of Ahlul Bayt (AS) and weaping for them. More details can be seen in books like Mir’aat al Rashaad by Al Mamaqaniand Jaame’ al Sa’adaat by al Naraqi and other many useful books of Akhlaq. Wassalam. Mohammad al-Musawi