Question: What are the causes of envy among children and what are the solutions?
The answer: There are many causes that prepare the ground for this bad quality. Here are some of them:
1. Moral defects in the family, such as the lack of indulgence, not pardoning one another, watching each other suspiciously, and the like
2. The parents’ disagreements and quarrels
3. Discrimination amongst the children
4. Natural differences between the children themselves, like cleverness, beauty, good speaking, activeness, etc.
5. Siding with one of the children against the other when they quarrel without listening or being certain about who is actually guilty
As for the solutions, they are:
1. Holding family meetings from time to time to discuss the matters that often cause quarrels, and the children should be given a full opportunity to talk freely while being listened to carefully and respectfully
2. In spite of all the quarrels between the children, the parents should deal with all of them equally and fairly
3. Making efforts to end every quarrel between the children from its very beginning
4. Avoiding discrimination; the parents should accept their children as they are and not make them feel that their parents love or care for a certain one of them more than the others
5. It is very important too that parents should adapt themselves to the natural rate of envy in their children, and at the same time that they explain to their children the harms of envy, they should not, by their actions, encourage it to increase in them
FOR A BETTER FUTURE