Question: I have just one child, and I have prayed to Allah for so long to grant me her. Therefore, I am very concerned to educate her as Allah the Almighty wants. Would you please explain to me the most important bases of education? I will be very grateful.
The answer: Islam has divided the education of children into three stages.
The first stage begins from birth and lasts until the seventh year. In this stage, the child should taste the full meaning of freedom. He should be free to do whatever he likes except if he wants to do something that may harm him, and then he should be prevented in a way that his dignity is not harmed and his freedom is not restrained.
The second stage is from the seventh until the fourteenth year. In this stage, the child should be taught useful knowledge especially the beliefs, juristic principles, morals, and contemporary sciences.
The third stage begins after the fourteenth year where the parents by now should have prepared him to be as their friend and as an independent person. However, in this age, the parents should help him in the field of life and teach him good lessons from their experiences.
This is in general, but as for the conduct required from you as a mother towards her daughter, I would like to draw your attention to the following points:
1. You should teach your daughter good habits and morals.
2. You should strengthen in her the motives of goodness, knowledge, and longing for Paradise.
3. Let her see in you the exact practical example of what you tell her!
4. Let yourself be so close to her to the extent that she can speak frankly to you about anything that is in her mind!
5. You should plant in her self-confidence and teach her to not be satisfied with a certain level of success! Always tell her: “High determination is from faith”.
6. You should continue reading books concerning your goal!
FOR A BETTER FUTURE